Sunday, November 4

This is dedicated to my loving wife, no matter how ludicrous I am, she's still there.


Let me address this rationally, calmly, and formally. I do believe that cynicism and negativity are two different things. The former being an attribute and the latter being a frame of mind.

The former is not negative in it's self.
Let me go into cynicism:
webster.com defines cynical as such:

cynical
Main Entry:
cyn·i·cal
Pronunciation:
si-ni-kəl\
Function:
adjective
Date:
1542
1: captious, peevish2: having or showing the attitude or temper of a cynic: as a: contemptuously distrustful of human nature and motives b: based on or reflecting a belief that human conduct is motivated primarily by self-interest
cyn·i·cal·ly
\-k(ə-)\ adverb
synonyms cynical, misanthropic, pessimistic mean deeply distrustful. cynical implies having a sneering disbelief in sincerity or integrity . misanthropic suggests a rooted distrust and dislike of human beings and their society . pessimistic implies having a gloomy, distrustful view of life .

I read this and think, DAMN! That's harsh, let me explain why this is true and untrue.
Cynicism gives way to such thinking that everything is ill-mannered, why? Because if that's all you believe then that's all you see. But I don't use cynicism as a frame of mind, no, that would make be a very negative person. I use it as an attribute to accurately look at things, justly and with a sense of neutrality. I use it as a tool to discern what's sincere or whats insincere in life. Primarily for the fact that I know their are liars and thieves among us. Yet I am still humbled by the acts of kindness from people. Reading the acts of Jesus and the miracles, looking at my child, my wife, my family. These things I find genuinely in. Don't get me wrong, I also find such qualities in other things as well.
I acknowledge the fact that cynicism can pave the way into negativity if you never humble yourself.
I might be guilty of only commenting on things I cannot form a positive opinion on, I'll work on that.

Let me move into negativity.
Webster states
negative
One entry found.
negative[1,adjective]
Main Entry:
1neg·a·tive
Pronunciation:
ne-gə-tiv\
Function:
adjective
Date:
15th century
1 a: marked by denial, prohibition, or refusal ; also : marked by absence, withholding, or removal of something positive b (1): denying a predicate of a subject or a part of a subject <“no A is B” is a negative proposition> (2): denoting the absence or the contradictory of something (3): expressing negation c: adverse, unfavorable 2 a: lacking positive qualities; especially : disagreeable b: marked by features of hostility, withdrawal, or pessimism that hinder or oppose constructive treatment or development c: promoting a person or cause by criticizing or attacking the competition

We see her negativity is such that it's a frame of mind. One who is negative sees only negative things and is not touched by the positive things they should be humbled by in life.
I can't really say I know any negative people. I do know people that have a disenfranchised outlook on life, yet they are moved by a few things.
The big difference I still stress here is cynicism as an attribute, negativity as a frame of mind, two are completely different from each other.
I can easy how a general mistake can be made by saying "he is a cynical person" if he never has anything good to say about anything and is always down. Correct yourself and say "he is a negative person".

I believe that my role models in my childhood gave me a cynical eye. No! This is not a bad thing! I have a very accurate perception on life and people.

Let me turn on my cynicism for a bit so that you may discern for yourself how this is not negative in any such way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will never be surprised by what humanity has to offer. I can acknowledge things such as the Holocaust and Hitler's regime and I can also see Jesus' words and teachings at work.
Humanity currently holds in their hands the future of each other. It is so universal it hurts. Yet, despite this unity between humans we easily disregard it and place barriers between us. Why?
Many reasons make us forget our bonds and notice differences.
Yet instead of embracing our differences we segregate each other.
Humanity must realize that climate change, war, economics, its a universal share. No matter how cheesy it sounds, we are all in this together.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was a cynical though. I accurately analyzed a brief stint of what's going on today. Not everyone will agree, and they are probably the ones that think I'm negative, but that's okay.
There are a few topics in which heats my blood and makes me more caustic at some times than others (i.e. Bush, media, politics) and that might seem more negative because it looks like that I am attacking rather than analyzing. Rest assured, I am still working the latter just in a more aggressive way, you may call this bitterly cynical.

Just like my comment today about how hundreds showed up for the dead little girl that washed ashore to sing Amazing grace - I asked why won't they do the same for the man and woman (2 separate situations) - I assume its because they see innocence in a child, yet they don't feel empathy for one who is older and unknown to them.
Sad.
But that's human nature.

Have I been negative in this post? Please let me know, but I have tried to accurately point out the differences between cynicism and negativity.

Little ghost, little ghost
One I'm scared of the most
Can you scare me up a little bit of love?
I'm the only one that sees you,
And I can't do much to please you
And it's not yet time to meet the lord above

now Internet ads, there's where I become bitterly cynical!!!!!!!!!!!

0 \comm\e.nts: