I'm posting alot today, hope nobody minds (and by nobody I mean the one other reader of this blog).
I ended up not working on the nibbles remake I talked about earlier tonight. I'm fooling around with 3D stuff, and tonight I was playing around with lighting. Sort of confusing stuff that, but manageable.
I also mentioned earlier that I intended to attempt to remake Dragon Warrior 1. Well, in the original Dragon Warrior the dungeons were rather simple mazes and didn't differ visually from one dungeon to the next. However, a rather unique aspect that I haven't really seen in any other rpgs is that the dungeons were devoid of light. You had to either use a torch or cast the "Radiant" spell to see a small amount of dungeon around you. Nothing visually fancy considering it was a very early NES game.
One of the ideas I've had for the remake is to make the dungeons first person and 3D. In case you don't know what first person means it's basically that you see everything through the characters eyes. A while ago I tried creating some 3D stuff but got frustrated and temporarily dropped the idea. Now though, with the recent advances I've made in learning how to work with 3D, I may consider bringing back the idea. I think it would look cool to explore dungeons in first person and have the torch illuminate the walls in front of you.
I've also recently considered the idea of attempting to make the overworld map 3D but I think I'll abandon that idea. I really should keep things simple for my first game. A 3D dungeon would be alot easier than a 3D overworld map. Speaking of the overworld map, it's pretty difficult to draw water and mountains that look good and that can tile easily as a pattern. But maybe that's because I haven't really put much effort into those yet: I've been stuck on the trees. On a whim, I tried planting each little tree programatically to see if it'd stress the system or slow down the program, but to my surprise it doesn't seem to break a sweat. It'd be kind of cool to be able to control each individual tree. But I'm not sure if that'll bog down the program too much once game mechanics are added in.
I suppose I'm done rambling. Again. Perhaps all this belongs in another blog, I don't know? Aiur, did you even read this far? Do you still read this blog? Is the blog still in an identity crisis?
It'd be cool if I had my own independent game company. Hey, I can dream can't I?
Tuesday, October 23
as provided to you by Bob @~~~ 3:26 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 \comm\e.nts:
technically you can have youre own company, just go out there and pay the fees and boom you're Bob, INCORPORATED=.
Post a Comment